Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] DCERPC generated files

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:34:32 -0400 (EDT)
To the discussion on "generated" source files - I still can't build the DCERPC files on Windows (I blame Yapp, but it could also be ignorance).  It would be GREAT if the build magicians could fix that.

However, thanks to Evan at Sharkfest, I now have a lubuntu setup that I am trying to learn.  The proto_tree_add_subtree effort has afforded me another excuse to try to regenerate the DCERPC files.  Following the instructions (always a good a start), I was able to regenerate the dissectors from the .idl files in epan/dissectors/pidl base directory on my lubuntu setup.  I could not generate the "subdirectory" ones (mapi, nspi, rfr) or the ones in the epan/dissectors/dcerpc.  As a "sanity check", I downloaded all of samba to compare.

In diffing the samba code to Wireshark, there were no significant (or unexplanable) changes in the (wireshark) tools/pidl directories.  However, it doesn't appear that samba has the idl files that I can't build (mapi, nspi, rfr, budb, butc).  Are these somehow "Wireshark only" (did someone not put them in samba or did samba take them out)?  Do they need to be updated to the most recent pidl compiler?  I can provide build errors, but they didn't make much sense to me, especially since some of the "base" idl files had build errors, but still managed to generate a dissector.

Michael