Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Gerrit usability and git web interface

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 16:58:43 +0200
Hi,

First, a request: could the gitweb commit messages also be post-
processed such that things like "Bug: XXX" and URLs become clickable?

An arbitrary example that shows the expected and actual messages:
https://code.wireshark.org/review/999/
https://code.wireshark.org/review/gitweb?p=wireshark.git;a=commitdiff;h=changes/99/999/2;ds=sidebyside

Gerrit has some usability issues, some comments:

 - Diffs for large files are slow[1]. I asked on IRC (#gerrit @ Freenode),
   Gerrit 2.9 should have become better at this. See the button on the
   top-right for example options[2]. I am told that this is a per-patch
   and per-user setting, but it is not clear whether a default can be set.
   Since many dissectors in WS are huge, it is probably wise to set
   defaults that are oriented at performance: disable syntax highlighting?
   (if possible!)

 - Saner "Open All" diffs. The Qt people have made a patch that shows all
   changes side-by-side on one page rather than opening a window for every
   file[3]. Perhaps it is worth merging this into gerrit?

 - Would it be possible to include a diff for change mails?
   The option sendemail.includeDiff can be used for this[4].

Also, would it be possible to set up these redirections on
code.wireshark.org:

    /git -> /review/gitweb
    /gitweb -> /review/gitweb

Besides gitweb, there is also cgit which has much nicer URLs, for example:
https://git.lekensteyn.nl/peter/wireshark/tree/epan/dissectors/packet-ssl-utils.c
Perhaps it is something to consider?

Kind regards,
Peter