Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Stateless Dissection
From: Kurt Knochner <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 00:43:02 +0200
Zitat von Joerg Mayer <[email protected]>:

What I am thinking about is something like keeping state but only for the
last 1000 (insert your favourite number here) packets and only *then* throwing it away. Or is this unrealistic?
I think that could create 'strange' side effects that are not easy to
understand/troubleshoot. It could show different results if you
process the same capture file, one time with 900 frames (truncated)
and the other time with 1100 frames (or similar setups).
What about this: Let a disscetor decide when it's time to clear parts
of its data structures. For example: The TCP dissector could drop the
conversation table entry after it has seen a TCP close 'sign' (RESET,
FIN, etc., or even after a defined timeout value). It would then also
need a way to signal that event to upper layer (HTTP, etc.) and lower
layer (IP) dissectors, so they can free their data structures as well.
I'm not sure if there is an easy way to implement this in a generic
way, so it will work for all dissectors (most certainly no), but maybe
it's worth thinking about this a little longer to figure out if there
could be a 'completely' stateless version of tshark, as this comes up
quite often on ask.wireshark.org, as people want to use tshark as a
long term (real time) network monitoring solution.
Regards
Kurt

Ciao
   Jörg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <[email protected]>