Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to clone 1.12 branch source code

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 08:36:12 -0700
On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [I merged a couple of forks of this thread to show more history before
> responding.]
>
> On 06/15/14 10:51, Richard Sharpe wrote:

>>> git clone --branch master-1.12
>>> https://code.wireshark.org/review/wireshark master-1.12
>>

>> Why would you want to do that when you can clone the whole thing and
>> then just check out what you want?
>

> Why clone master when you really want master-1.12?
>
> Before I RTFM'd and discovered the --branch command I used to do as you
> suggest but it seemed quite a waste:
>
> git clone [...] master-1.12
> git checkout origin/master-1.12 -b master-1.12
> git branch -D master
>
> Note that I really want a separate directory that is dedicated to
> master-1.12.  The whole do-everything-in-one-directory thing takes entirely
> too long (right now I can test a fuzz failure against 3 or more branches in
> parallel without even having to wait for a recompile let alone deal with all
> the mess that gets left behind when switching major branches--look at git
> status after switching from a master-1.10 compile to master for an example).

Sure, but what I do is clone the repository and then make copies for
each of the branches I want to work on. For one thing it would make it
easier to cherry-pick changes ...

Once you copy a repo, you can independently pull or fetch in that
directory as you need. Uses more space, but disk space is cheap these
days.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe