Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to clone 1.12 branch source code

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 11:00:00 -0400
[I merged a couple of forks of this thread to show more history before responding.]

On 06/15/14 10:51, Richard Sharpe wrote:
Le 15/06/2014 14:02, Jeff Morriss a écrit :
On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 4:31 AM, wsgd <wsgd@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Must be possible to clone directly the good branch, no ?
>> git clone --branch master-1.12 https://code.wireshark.org/review/wireshark master-1.12

Why would you want to do that when you can clone the whole thing and
then just check out what you want?

Why clone master when you really want master-1.12?

Before I RTFM'd and discovered the --branch command I used to do as you suggest but it seemed quite a waste:

git clone [...] master-1.12
git checkout origin/master-1.12 -b master-1.12
git branch -D master

Note that I really want a separate directory that is dedicated to master-1.12. The whole do-everything-in-one-directory thing takes entirely too long (right now I can test a fuzz failure against 3 or more branches in parallel without even having to wait for a recompile let alone deal with all the mess that gets left behind when switching major branches--look at git status after switching from a master-1.10 compile to master for an example).