Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Visual Studio "14"

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 09:38:07 -0700
On Jun 11, 2014, at 8:21 AM, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The Visual Studio team recently announced that major changes are coming
> for the C Runtime in VS "14", namely that they are switching to a set of
> single stable releases:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2014/06/10/the-great-crt-refactoring.aspx
>
> Hopefully this means that we can avoid the current maze of compiler,
> runtime, and library support at some point in the future.

And hopefully "We will maintain backwards compatibility for this part of the CRT." in

	* AppCRT (appcrt140.dll): This DLL contains all of the functionality that is usable on all platforms. This includes the heap, the math library, the stdio and locale libraries, most of the string manipulation functions, the time library, and a handful of other functions. We will maintain backwards compatibility for this part of the CRT.

and

	* DesktopCRT (desktopcrt140.dll): This DLL contains all of the functionality that is usable only by desktop apps. Notably, this includes the functions for working with multibyte strings, the exec and spawn process management functions, and the direct-to-console I/O functions. We will maintain backwards compatibility for this part of the CRT.

means what I think it does, i.e. no more of the "ZOMG the library was built with one version of VC and the application was built with a different version so the app can't read from a FILE * opened by the library and vice versa and the app can't free something mallocated by the library and vice versa" crap that caused some APIs to have to be added to libpcap to avoid that issue showing up in WinPcap.