Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Conversation filters

Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 20:22:45 -0400 (EDT)
I wanted to add a "conversation filter" for a dissector.   I followed the "GUI independent" API of register_dissector_filter() and successfully added my filter under the Analyze -> Conversation Filter menu item.  However, I noticed a "different" conversation filter menu when right-clicking on a specific packet.  Cursory glance says that the right-click menu is hardcoded to Ethernet, IP, TCP, UDP, and PN-CBA.

Shouldn't they all be combined to use the "GUI independent" API?  Based on how the Profinet conversation filters are split between the menus, it seems like they may have had different intentions.

Can anyone provide the historical information of how this evolved?  And what the significance is to the "color" submenu items (GTK) are in the "hardcoded menu"? (It would be easier to just remove the "color" submenu items to tie into the existing register_dissector_filter() API if its not really providing value)