Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Possible submission of new dissectors for review

From: Anders Broman <a.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 07:27:34 +0200
Christopher Sheldahl skrev 2014-05-18 13:48:
My company has developed a number of dissectors for our own protocols.

I have been asked to see if the community would be interested  in our submitting these dissectors. There are 87 individual dissectors in 87 .c files and 5 header files, and about 17500 lines of code.  There is one primary dissector and the others are subdissectors.  The longest of the dissectors has about 2000 lines, and only three dissectors are longer than 500 lines.
87 files seems over the top, especially if the files are small, couldn't it be condensed to 8-9?
Is it really 87 different protocols? This is my biggest concern.

I can't give detailed information until my company gives me final permission.

Might this code be incorporated into Wireshark, once it passes review?
I don't see why not. Be sure to run all the check scripts in the tool directory like checkapi, checkhf.
17500 lines of code is quite a lot to review. You might want to split that up in chunks, starting with the main dissector.

Thanks for your consideration,

Christopher Sheldahl