Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Profiled dumpcap
From: Anders Broman <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 23:06:02 +0200
Guy Harris skrev 2014-05-08 22:29:
On May 8, 2014, at 1:02 PM, Anders Broman <[email protected]> wrote:

It might be worth it to reduce the number of write_to_file() by putting stuff in a buffer before writing to file.
write_to_file() calls fwrite(), which puts stuff in a buffer before writing to the file in the sense of "calling write() or WriteFile()).  Would adding another layer of buffering atop the standard I/O library buffering make a significant difference here?  (libpcap, as used by, for example, tcpdump, makes multiple fwrite() calls per packet written.)
I'm not sure but from the picture there seems to be a bit of overhead per write so if we reduce the fwrites() to 3, hdr-pkdata-footer with hdr and footer being a local buffer[x] it might make some difference.
Regards
Anders