Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GIT vs SVN

From: Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 12:32:53 +0200
On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 7:48 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 04/25/14 12:23, Peter Wu wrote:
>>
>> On Friday 25 April 2014 11:27:35 Jeff Morriss wrote:
>>>
>>> Basically:
>>>
>>> 1) Create a branch off master (git checkout -b myprivatebranch master)
>>> 2) Make your changes
>>> 3) Check in your changes (git commit -a)
>>> 3.a) Make sure you never "git push" from this branch :-).  If someone
>>> knows a way to make it impossible, please let me know.
>>

>> If you do not set a remote for this branch, then this branch won't be
>> pushed.
>> The default behavior of "git push" without options can be configured with
>> the
>> "push.default" setting (see man git-config(1)).
>>
>> There is nothing that prevents you from running `git push origin foo`
>> though.
>

> I don't like to type so many characters so I never type "git push origin
> <anything>" anyway.  Then again, I never type "git push" now, I just do "git
> review -f".
>

>>> Then if you want to pull in the later changes just do:
>>>
>>> 4) git checkout master
>>> 5) git pull
>>> 6) git rebase master myprivatebranch
>>

>> If you don't need to update master, you can follow this:
>

> Well, that's an interesting question.  I guess the branch is pretty useless
> for me since I normally stay in my private branch.  Its only purpose is to
> serve as a starting point for things which will eventually be pushed ("git
> checkout -b bugXXXX master").
>

>> 4) git fetch
>>
>> (assuming that your current branch is myprivatebranch)
>> 5a) git rebase origin/master
>> (otherwise, to combine git checkout && git rebase origin/master:)
>> 5b) git rebase origin/master myprivatebranch
>

> Cool, thanks!
>

>>> git's pretty cool in that steps 4-6 can be automated: I have a script
>>> named ~/bin/git-uup (haven't thought of a better name) which does 4-6 so
>>> I only have to type "git uup && make -j 9".

I have a upbranchall.sh script...
with
 git fetch -all
 for branch in `git branch | sed -e "s/^ *//g" | sed -e "s/* //g"`; do
     git checkout "$branch"      || exit 1
     git rebase "origin" || exit 1
 done

And update/upgrade all my branch :-)