Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Plugin Dissector vs Builtin Dissector

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:03:00 -0400 (EDT)
The short answer is "write it as a builtin" if you plan on submitting the dissector code to Wireshark.  Plugins come with more "file bloat", so they are discouraged when becoming part of the official Wireshark source.

Many developers start with the plugin for faster build time, when the dissector is in a early state (and there's a lot of "add some fields, see how it looks").  But as it becomes more stable and less rebuilding is necessary, they convert it to a builtin.  And converting is basically just "trimming the file fat" of the plugin.