Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark LTS branches

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:11:42 -0700
On Apr 17, 2014, at 3:58 PM, Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, last time I brought this up the project decision was to allow
> minor improvements, too:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.wireshark.devel/15323
>
> The best solution for me as a maintainer at Debian would be limiting
> the changes to security fixes conforming to the policy:
> https://www.debian.org/security/faq#policy , but as a second-best
> option I could live with the special LTS branches.

The best solution for many end-users would probably be *not* to limit the changes to security fixes - if we have a fix for a mis-dissection, they'd probably want that, for example.

Given that, having separate "security fixes only" branches, for packagers and users who *only* want security fixes, and support branches, for packagers and users who also want those bug fixes that we deem "appropriate" for the support branches, is probably the right answer.