Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Visual studio versions

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:16:50 -0700
On 4/16/14 7:52 AM, Graham Bloice wrote:
> A recent question on Ask Wireshark [1] brought up the issue of which
> version of Visual Studio we should be targeting with releases.
>
> Part of the issue is all the 3rd party libs that may be linked with a
> specific version of the MSVC run-time DLL.
>
> It has been suggested that we move to VS2012, is there a QT for 2012?
>  Maybe even go to 2013.  I would like us to use the most recent (as long
> as it's been out for 3 months or so) version of VS for a new release, is
> this practical?
>
> Apart form dev's own VS environments there are the buildbots to consider.

>From the other responses it sounds like we might want to look at VS2012.
This would mean the end of the XP buildbot but I was planning on
upgrading it anyway. Targeting XP from VS2012 is non-trivial however:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2012/10/08/windows-xp-targeting-with-c-in-visual-studio-2012.aspx

> I also read somewhere else that MS will supply VS licences for open
> source projects, do you know anything about that Gerald?

Microsoft has DreamSpark (students) and BizSpark (startups). I'm not
aware of anything for open source projects unfortunately.

BTW, according to Raymond Chen linking against msvcrt.dll is wrong and
we should be using the compiler's preferred runtime:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2014/04/11/10516280.aspx