Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Visual studio versions

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:22:57 +0000

From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pascal Quantin
Sent: den 16 april 2014 17:17
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Visual studio versions

From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Graham Bloice
Sent: den 16 april 2014 16:52
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: [Wireshark-dev] Visual studio versions

>A recent question on Ask Wireshark [1] brought up the issue of which version of Visual Studio we should be targeting with releases.

>Part of the issue is all the 3rd party libs that may be linked with a specific version of the MSVC run-time DLL.

>It has been suggested that we move to VS2012, is there a QT for 2012?  Maybe even go to 2013.  I would like us to use the most recent (as long as it's been out for 3 >months or so) version of VS for a new release, is this practical?

>Apart from dev's own VS environments there are the buildbots to consider.

I couldn’t install Visual studio 2013 on my work computer as it complained Explorer was too old, unfortunately I can’t upgrade Explorer so I’d vote for 2012 J

As at this point it’s only LUA(?) giving problems we could support at least two LUA versions, the dll’s are available.

I will try to come up with something and upload the patch on Gerrit so that someone with MSVC2012 (not me ;)) can give it a try.

But it will not solve the qtshark case, it will only work for the GTK based version (unless we could swith to the MinGW version of Qt).

If you start by uploading the LUA dll(s), I could try something too…

Shouldn’t downloading Qt be the responsibility of the developer same as with the compiler?

Otherwise in principle I agree with Graham to use the latest version.