Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Visual studio versions

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:03:52 +0000

From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Graham Bloice
Sent: den 16 april 2014 16:52
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: [Wireshark-dev] Visual studio versions

>A recent question on Ask Wireshark [1] brought up the issue of which version of Visual Studio we should be targeting with releases.

>Part of the issue is all the 3rd party libs that may be linked with a specific version of the MSVC run-time DLL.

>It has been suggested that we move to VS2012, is there a QT for 2012?  Maybe even go to 2013.  I would like us to use the most recent (as long as it's been out for 3 >months or so) version of VS for a new release, is this practical?

>Apart from dev's own VS environments there are the buildbots to consider.

I couldn’t install Visual studio 2013 on my work computer as it complained Explorer was too old, unfortunately I can’t upgrade Explorer so I’d vote for 2012 J

As at this point it’s only LUA(?) giving problems we could support at least two LUA versions, the dll’s are available.

Otherwise in principle I agree with Graham to use the latest version.