Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Visual studio versions

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:02:50 +0200
A recent question on Ask Wireshark [1] brought up the issue of which version of Visual Studio we should be targeting with releases.

Part of the issue is all the 3rd party libs that may be linked with a specific version of the MSVC run-time DLL.

It has been suggested that we move to VS2012, is there a QT for 2012?  Maybe even go to 2013.  I would like us to use the most recent (as long as it's been out for 3 months or so) version of VS for a new release, is this practical?

Apart form dev's own VS environments there are the buildbots to consider.

I also read somewhere else that MS will supply VS licences for open source projects, do you know anything about that Gerald?

Hi Graham,

according to http://qt-project.org/downloads, there are packages for MSVC2010, MSVC2012 and MinGW. Each one is huge, so I'm not sure that storing each variant on the svn server would be a good idea. Gerald, do you remember why you selected the MSVC2010 one? Is it because Wireshark is officially built with this MSVC version, or because of bugs specific do MinGW (like bug 9957)?

Pascal.