Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] overriding dissector for port 8080

From: "John Dill" <John.Dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 10:43:59 -0400
>Message: 2
>Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 10:19:52 -0400
>From: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] overriding dissector for port 8080

>>> No, I don't think there's a way to simplify what's in the Filter
>>> Expression dialog short of removing dissectors from Wireshark (probably
>>> more effort than it's worth).
>>
>> The only reason would be to simplify the interface for test engineers who
>> like to streamline their process (it would remove the need to constantly
>> type the protocol abbreviation).  It would happen at the end of the
>> development cycle if at all.
>
>Can?t you just create some filter macros [1] to do that for you?
>
>[1] http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html_chunked/ChDisplayFilterMacrosSection.html

That would work well for filter expressions that different test engineers
would commonly use.  However, there are hundreds of messages each ranging
from one to several hundred data elements that engineers would have to
browse to build their own expressions to begin with, and it really depends
on the types of tests they are doing, or troubleshooting new problems.
The Filter Expression dialog is the best place in Wireshark to locate the
data elements they are looking for, so it was mentioned as a "nice to have".

Since often times the test engineers (or really anyone) do not have
intimate knowledge of all the message traffic and memory of its exact
contents (unless you can memorize several thousand pages of reference
documents), much of the browsing happens in the Filter Expression dialog.

Best regards,
John Dill

<<winmail.dat>>