Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] : how to convert to file encode from utf-8 toASCII?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 09:46:27 -0700
On Mar 27, 2014, at 1:15 AM, "??????????" <237825552@xxxxxx> wrote:

> the file inside wireshark is too much

The source files in the Wireshark source are strictly ASCII - the Wireshark build process checks for that and reports errors if it finds non-ASCII characters.  (The AUTHORS file is UTF-8, and has non-ASCII characters, so that it can, for example, say "Stig Bj?0?3rlykke".  The comment in README.developer does *not* apply to files that don't get run through C or C++ compilers.)

An ASCII file, with no non-ASCII characters in it, is also a UTF-8 file.  I don't know what's reporting that the file is UTF-8 encoded, but that's "true" of all the Wireshark source in a trivial sense.