Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Gerrit versus Buildbot

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 13:07:42 -0700
On 3/20/14 11:40 AM, Chris Kilgour wrote:
> Just had the unpleasant experience of having a patch submitted to gerrit where it sat for nearly one month, just got merged after a code review, then got reverted when buildbot revealed issues.
>
> When I have submitted to other gerrit-based projects like OpenOCD, they have an automated build system connected (IIRC it's a standard thing called Jenkins) that provides a +1/-1 to trap build-related issues immediately after submission.  Any reason why wireshark doesn't do this?

That was the plan when I installed Gerrit, unfortunately:

Buildbot's GerritStatusPush doesn't work with our version of Gerrit (2.8.3):

http://trac.buildbot.net/ticket/2550

Jenkins seems very nice and I'm not opposed to migrating to it, however
migrating from Buildbot to Jenkins would be nontrivial and Jenkins
appears to have the same lack of support for Gerrit > 2.6 as Buildbot:

https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-21564

> Alternately, is there a way for submitters to access build-bot so we can proof changes prior to merge (or better yet, prior to submission)?

If the build system had open access what would keep someone from
uploading a shell script containing a box full of weasels wearing clown
shoes?