Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Is git-review safe?

From: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 03:03:07 -0400
So a funny thing happened while using 'git review' tonight.

I was in a local branch named "aruba_erm_radio", did my changes, did git commit, and then did git review.

Inside my commit message, in the second paragraph, I mentioned that it resolves an enhancement bug 9880.

For some reason, git-review decided to therefore name the branch on gerrit "bug/9880", instead of "aruba_erm_radio".

That seems a bit dangerous to me.  What happens if my initial commit+review doesn't have a bug identified in the commit message, but in a later update I add one into the amended commit-message?  Would it try to push it to a different branch on gerrit?  Or would the Change-ID being the same prevent that?

-hadriel

p.s. the evidence:

Hadriel-MacBook-2:wireshark hadrielk$ git status
On branch aruba_erm_radio
Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)

	modified:   epan/dissectors/packet-aruba-erm.c

It took 2.57 seconds to enumerate untracked files. 'status -uno'
may speed it up, but you have to be careful not to forget to add
new files yourself (see 'git help status').
no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
Hadriel-MacBook-2:wireshark hadrielk$ git commit -a
[aruba_erm_radio e6ffa92] Add support for Aruba ERM Radio-Format
Hadriel-MacBook-2:wireshark hadrielk$ git review
remote: Resolving deltas: 100% (4/4)
remote: Processing changes: new: 1, refs: 1, done
remote:
remote: New Changes:
remote:   https://code.wireshark.org/review/629
remote:
To ssh://hadriel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:29418/wireshark
 * [new branch]      HEAD -> refs/publish/master/bug/9880