Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Fix bug in GSM MAP, have problems with GIT

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 09:40:35 +0000
On 12 March 2014 03:00, <mmann78@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My biggest frustration is noted by the statement:

"However, as most use on other platforms tends to be command-line git, most books and guides tend to concentrate on that so windows users may actually find it easier to start with the command line and then move to graphical clients when they are comfortable with the basics."

I didn't really want to learn the command line, I like GUIs :)  TortoiseSVN did a great job of hiding the underlying commandline from me and since I never did anything advanced with it, it served me well.  TortoiseGit hasn't succeeded as well for me and I'm still battling with it in an effort to not have to use the commandline at all (it's this "tutorial" I assume most Windows developers are after, because I certainly am)

Someone else will have to step up to the plate with that then as I haven't used any git GUI's (apart from GitHub and I don't know if that works for non-GitHub repos) so can't offer any advice.

Personally as I find the git model to be so different from svn, I feel that a GUI adds even more complexity to the changeover as so much more is "visible" and needs to be understood.  Learning the "relatively" few command line calls required allows me to move on more quickly and also build my mental model of what's happening.

I probably have a different outlook to most Windows devs as most of my svn use is also command line, in my day job we make far more use of svn branching (*every* change is developed on a branch before being QA'd by another dev into trunk) than Wireshark does and command line use is simply quicker (for me).  I do have some PowerShell helper scripts though that give me command line completion on long branch paths.

I only use TSVN for repo browsing, log viewing and diffing changes.

I think most of my issues are being caused by Gerrit and the extra "path" required on a push.  TortoiseGit appears to have answers for it, but trying to tackle all three at once (git + Gerrit + TortoiseGit) is a bit much to chew on when all references are commandline.

I haven't looked at it, but I'd be concerned as to how TortoiseGit (or any gui) uses git-review which seems to be the key part of simplifying things for me.