Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GIT tutorials (was: Re: Fix bug in GSM MAP, have problems wi

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 17:38:10 -0400
On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Hadriel Kaplan
<hadriel.kaplan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2014, at 5:15 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps we should have a page on some wireshark.org where a user can enter some identifier for an automated build and an SHA hash for a commit and find out whether that build has that commit, and perhaps also say "take me to the latest automated build for {pick your target for binary builds} that has this commit" (or fail if there's no such build yet).
>
> Googling around a bit for this issue - because other apps must have this same problem and their users - shows people either creating a ton of tags, or scripting with the rev-list count to generate sequential numbers in their commits to master.
>
> How did SVN deal with a rev number in older branches, when you either backported a change from a newer release or committed a change only to the older release?  Did it use the same rev number, or give it a new one? (ie, was it the same/shared numberspace?)

It gave it a new one (just like backported git revs get new SHAs) but
that's not really the problem. The problem is that the user only knows
their build was at some particular SHA; they don't know whether the
SHA they're interested in came before or after it.