Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GIT tutorials (was: Re: Fix bug in GSM MAP, have problems wi

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:15:03 -0700
On Mar 11, 2014, at 2:06 PM, Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Graham Bloice
> <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> That doesn't help "users" who only install, not build as their copy of
>> Wireshark doesn't have a list of SHA (or does it?).
>>
>> They only way I can think of resolving that is to refer to dates as they are
>> time-ordered (I hope).
>
> Time still works; if it was submitted to master at noon on Monday then
> presumably any automated build from after that point will include the
> relevant change.
>
> Alternatively, the automated build files have the name format:
> Wireshark-$Platform-$Tag-$CommitsSinceTag-g$SHA.exe (e.g.
> Wireshark-win32-1.11.3-1925-g0f73f79.exe)
>
> So if you know the change was in SHA x (and the current latest tag is
> y), you can run "git rev-list y..x --count" and it will give you the
> $CommitsSinceTag value which is strictly increasing like an SVN
> revision number.

"You" presumably meaning "the person who committed the change" rather than "the user who downloaded the automated build", as the user who downloaded the automated build not only might not have a Git repository for Wireshark, they might not even have Git.

Perhaps we should have a page on some wireshark.org where a user can enter some identifier for an automated build and an SHA hash for a commit and find out whether that build has that commit, and perhaps also say "take me to the latest automated build for {pick your target for binary builds} that has this commit" (or fail if there's no such build yet).