Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GIT tutorials (was: Re: Fix bug in GSM MAP, have problems wi

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 20:42:01 +0000
On 11 March 2014 20:35, Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Git commit ids differ
> between different people (each clone may create their one)

Not technically true. If I make a commit with SHA x, push it, and it
gets submitted, then it is true that the final SHA in master will be y
!= x. However, the next time I pull then I will get SHA y as well.
They x and y technically reference different commits, since y contains
additional information about who reviewed it, when it was submitted
from Gerrit, etc.

But aren't we talking about users, rather than devs?  Users will either build from a clone from the main repo, or use an automated build, thus their reference point will be the Gerrit | master SHA whichever is the most appropriate name for it.

In any case I don't think this fulfils the initial question.  Previously we could say to users that an issue was fixed in svn r nnnn and they would "know" that any rev later than that was good.  I don't understand how they can "know" that with a SHA of the latest master commit | merge.