Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GIT tutorials (was: Re: Fix bug in GSM MAP, have problems wi

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 19:01:43 +0100
On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Hadriel Kaplan
<hadriel.kaplan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 4) How do you know if someone has a fix or not?  With subversion, they'd
>> indicate they're running svn r51234, for example, and then you could tell
>> them that they need to update to at least r52345.  With git, how does this
>> work with hashes?
>
> That would be good to know - because so far it seems people've been using the first ~6 characters of the commit hashes, but I'm not sure if that's right or not.

That is in general the git method. Better to use the first 12, but the
general idea stays the same. But I would rather suggest using the
gerrit change-ids, as those are universal. Git commit ids differ
between different people (each clone may create their one), but
change-ids stay identical.

- Roland