Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Cashe column operations to "end of packet" and only execute

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:14:24 +0000

-----Original Message-----

I could probably find something to share privately, not sure if I have something that can be publicly shared, perhaps we could profile one of the sample SIP captures?
It was a while since I did the profiling but as I remember the trace had VLAN tags which was costly to no immediate use.

>I expect the most expensive part of the col_ API is probably the formatting calls, but I'm not sure how we'd cache those. I expect we'd have to do the formatting immediately and then cache the >resulting string, so I'm not sure how much benefit that would provide over just formatting in place.

I was hoping someone more familiar with C than me would come up with a way of "cashing the execution" of the function :-)
Yes the formatting calls are the expensive ones.