Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark 1.10.6 is now available

From: Peter Wu <lekensteyn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 11:23:29 +0100
On Saturday 08 March 2014 10:12:48 Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> On 8/03/14 06:49 , Gerald Combs wrote:
> > I'm proud to announce the release of Wireshark 1.10.6.
>
> In the past I was able to get the source of this release via "svn
> checkout http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/releases/xxx"; and incorporate it
> back into our private repository.
>
> Could a skilled person show me how to get this with git?

You could create a tarball with all source code by running the following
command *from the top-level dir*:

    git archive -o tar.gz --prefix=wireshark-1.10.6/ wireshark-1.10.6 >
wireshark-1.10.6.tar.gz

(if you run this from a subdirectory, then you will only include files
starting from the subdirectory.)

This would be similar to `svn export`. If you have a git repository and want
to merge the changes from 1.10.6, use something like this:

    # assume your private work is on a branch "private-branch"
    git checkout private-branch
    # merge changes
    git merge wireshark-1.10.6
    # equivalent because Wireshark has TWO tags for the same commit:
    #git merge v1.10.6

Regards,
Peter