Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] query regarding tables in wireshark

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 12:37:45 -0800
On Mar 2, 2014, at 10:31 PM, Rahul Rohit <rahul.rohit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What is the naming convention for this tables ??

If the field is specific to a protocol, the name begins with the protocol's "filter name", and is followed by a ".".  If it corresponds to a named field in the protocol, its name is the name of the field.

(Not all fields are specific to a protocol; for example, there's a dissector table for Ethernet types, but those are used in a *lot* of protocols, so it's just called "ethertype", not "eth.type".)

> can we define a table with name sctp.x.y.z ??

Yes.