Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Sample command line workflow with git and gerrit

From: Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 20:31:48 +0100
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:51:13AM +0100, Joerg Mayer wrote:
>> I sent the sample workflow for two reasons:
>> 1) Receive feedback whether I did something "stupid" (aka newbie error)
>> 2) Start creating a little bit of help for newbies
>
> Attached a revised version on how I'd like to go forward. The quicker we
> have the workflows the less time consuming things are going to get for
> others :-)
>
> Ciao
>      Jörg
>

> This idea of the file is to collect example workflows to make
> it easier getting started with git/gerrit.
>From my experience (giving trainings on git/gerrit and observing other
trainers and trainees) the most efficient way of learning Git + Gerrit based
collaboration is reading Pro Git [1] then the Gerrit intro [2] . This is what
is suggested by our WorkFlow page [3].

Other means like trying to start with incomplete, examples-based
quick-intros gave early satisfaction and long struggling to many people
I could observe thanks to misunderstanding or not seeing the concepts
behind the commands.

Please don't create traps for people less experienced with git/gerrit.

Let me ask this question: After reading through [1] and [2] carefully which
question(s) arising during contributing to Wireshark remained not answered?
Those could be good additions to the Q&A section of [3].

Thanks,
Balint

[1] http://git-scm.com/book
[2] https://code.wireshark.org/review/Documentation/intro-quick.html