Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Sample command line workflow with git and gerrit

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 09:51:13 +0100
On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 08:39:37PM -0500, Hadriel Kaplan wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2014, at 8:14 PM, Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > We also have the developer guide ([1] and friends). Ideally this
> > information would only live in one place, though there doesn't seem to
> > be a consensus as to where that is (wiki, README, developer guide).
> >
> > [1] https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSrcContribute.html
>
> Yeah, but I mean even for things like git/gerrit tips and full workflow.

I sent the sample workflow for two reasons:
1) Receive feedback whether I did something "stupid" (aka newbie error)
2) Start creating a little bit of help for newbies

> For example:
> - using/getting the commit-msg hook (and needing to use it) for Change-IDs

This is now covered by the developer's guide with Gerald's recent commit -
I started from scratch and followed the documentation in
WSDG_chapter_sources.asciidoc

> - to use '--amend' and leaving the Change-ID alone when submitting an update of your submit

+1

?

> - using the pre-commit hook to catch whitespace errors

Would it make sense to move the pre-commit hook from gerrit to tools/ ?

?

> - how to upload/gerrit backport commits

+1

> Some of those things are on various pages in various places in wiki/code/docs, but not one place afaik.

How about the following:
- Decide on a list of workflows to document.
- Create a single tutorials document in git that contains command line
  stuff only (see below)
- Have everyone work on that single document and fill it with these examples
  (each example should cover the complete workflow).
- After 2-4 weeks (so before April), move the tutorial into the wiki
- For each gerrit command add a link how to achieve this via web browser
  (one of the things I didn't like about the quick-into was that I lost
  track of what was being done because of too many screenshots and details
  of the gui were injected).

Ciao
     Jörg