Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Sample command line workflow with git and gerrit

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:44:30 -0500
On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 8:39 PM, Hadriel Kaplan
<hadriel.kaplan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2014, at 8:14 PM, Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> We also have the developer guide ([1] and friends). Ideally this
>> information would only live in one place, though there doesn't seem to
>> be a consensus as to where that is (wiki, README, developer guide).
>>
>> [1] https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSrcContribute.html
>
> Yeah, but I mean even for things like git/gerrit tips and full workflow.
>
> For example:
> - using/getting the commit-msg hook (and needing to use it) for Change-IDs
> - to use '--amend' and leaving the Change-ID alone when submitting an update of your submit
> - avoiding merging local branches because a merge commit won't have the change-id and can't/shouldn't be sent up to gerrit
> - using the pre-commit hook to catch whitespace errors
> - squashing commits into one commit to be gerrit'ed
> - how to upload/gerrit backport commits
>
> Some of those things are on various pages in various places in wiki/code/docs, but not one place afaik.

I'm all for consolidating the above information - we just need to
decide which of the many places to consolidate *to*. We've been
playing musical chairs every few months moving things around from A to
B, B to C, and C to A, but never actually getting anywhere.