Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Sample command line workflow with git and gerrit

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 01:06:10 +0100
Hello,

I've just documented the workflow I used to update the NEWS file.
Please let me know what I missed and if you have ideas for improvement.

Thanks
   Jörg

jmayer@egg:~/work/wireshark/git(master)> git branch newsupdate
jmayer@egg:~/work/wireshark/git(master)> git checkout newsupdate
Switched to branch 'newsupdate'
jmayer@egg:~/work/wireshark/git(newsupdate)> rm NEWS
==> In another window: Change NEWS file
jmayer@egg:~/work/wireshark/build/qt-gtk3> make release_notes
Generating /home/jmayer/work/wireshark/git/NEWS
Built target release_notes
==> Back to original window:
jmayer@egg:~/work/wireshark/git(newsupdate)> git status
[...]
#       modified:   NEWS
[...]
jmayer@egg:~/work/wireshark/git(newsupdate)> git commit -a
[newsupdate c159b39] As long as the NEWS file is part of the source distribution it really needs to be updated every time the file docbook/release-notes.asciidoc get changed.
jmayer@egg:~/work/wireshark/git(newsupdate)> git review
remote: Resolving deltas: 100% (2/2)
remote: Processing changes: new: 1, refs: 1, done
remote:
remote: New Changes:
remote:   https://code.wireshark.org/review/398
remote:
To ssh://jmayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:29418/wireshark
 * [new branch]      HEAD -> refs/publish/master/newsupdate
jmayer@egg:~/work/wireshark/git(newsupdate)> gerrit review 398,1 --submit --code-review +2
jmayer@egg:~/work/wireshark/git(newsupdate)> git checkout master
Switched to branch 'master'
jmayer@egg:~/work/wireshark/git(master)> git branch -D newsupdate
Deleted branch newsupdate (was c159b39).

Note: The "gerrit" command is actually an alias:
  alias gerrit='ssh jmayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -p 29418 gerrit'