Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] "right" git clone address

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:29:32 -0800
On Feb 20, 2014, at 4:20 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'd prefer to have as few repositories and repository URLs as possible.
> This would hopefully make things less confusing for developers and is
> one less thing to monitor and maintain on the server side. (On the other
> hand I think there's a compelling argument for mirroring to GitHub,

As long as all mirroring either

	1) treats the mirror as read-only

or

	2) something automatically pulls changes from the mirror to the Official Repository

and

	3) github doesn't become a replacement for Bugzilla.

I speak from experience with libpcap and tcpdump, which:

	have both repositories on bpf.tcpdump.org and GitHub; changes checked into bpf get pushed to GitHub automatically (I don't know how often - it might be nightly) but changes on GitHub (such as merged pull requests) currently require that they be *manually* pulled (I have a "pull-from-github" script that lets me do that to my libpcap and tcpdump trees, and then I push them to bpf);

	use GitHub as the bug database - meaning it doesn't support attachments.

> (It looks like people are still checking out from
> anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark. I'm not sure what to do about that.)

Make one last checkin to it that changes autogen.sh to just print

	THESE AREN'T THE WIRESHARK SOURCES YOU'RE LOOKING FOR.  MOVE ALONG TO {url}

and exit with an exit status of 1, and perhaps tweak the configure script to do the same?