Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Rename TVB captured length vs reported length

From: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 17:24:01 -0500
On Feb 18, 2014, at 4:23 PM, Dirk Jagdmann <doj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I understand that there are good reasons to know about the actual length of the
> frame and the captured length. I suggest that we simply state these lengths in
> the function name and *not* have an unqualified (shorter) name which will get
> misinterpreted. So my suggestion for a rename would be:
> tvb_actual_length()
> tvb_captured_length()

How about:
tvb_original_length()
tvb_captured_length()

I find that less confusing, because in my mind the "actual" length of the underlying buffer is the "captured" length.

BTW, one benefit of your proposal to get rid of tvb_length() altogether is we'll get compilation errors if we don't fix them all, for example in future merges/cherry-picks. (ie, a good thing)

-hadriel