Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Rename TVB captured length vs reported length

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 16:13:10 -0800
Sounds good! :)

Gilbert

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/17/14 17:44, Jakub Zawadzki wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 05:07:04PM -0500, Evan Huus wrote:
After yet another patch submission where this was unclear, I would
like to propose the following change:

tvb_length, tvb_length_remaining, etc. are changed to all operate on
the reported length on the wire

tvb_reported_* are dropped in favor of tvb_captured_* which operate on
the available captured length (what is currently given by just
tvb_length).

The problem is that 95% of the time the intended behaviour is best
achieved by the reported length,

What's the use case of remaining 5%? Heuristic dissectors?

Yes (so we can check if it's our packet without throwing an exception).  And "can I do reassembly/checksum/whatever?"  (aka "do I have the whole packet?")