Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Git and line endings

From: Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 14:18:22 +0100
Hi,

2014-02-04 Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>:

> 2014-02-04 Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> Yes, I played a bit with .gitattributes after sending my email and could
>>> easily shoot me in the foot...
>>> I guess we cannot (should not) expect to have all Windows contributors to
>>> set the core.autocrlf=true setting before cloning Wireshark.
>>> Still I do not see any easy solution:
>>> - do one big commit introducing .gitattributes and re-normalising the
>>> repo, OR
>>> - put a big fat warning somewhere (in the documentation ?) stating that
>>> Windows users should set core.autocrlf=true before cloning, OR
>>> - modify all scripts like asn2wrs.py so that they are less smart and
>>> ouput LF line endings (assuming it is possible) and expect peaople that they
>>> did not activate autocrlf (sigh...)
>>>
>>> Only first option seems good to me (maybe there is a 4th option that I
>>> missed?).
>>> I just did a dry run and following the re-normalize procedure described
>>> on github only wireshark.sln file is impacted so it is not a massive commit.
>>> If there is a consensus I will do the change.
>>>

>> I know others differ, but IMHO the wireshark.sln file could be deleted
>> anyway. If the re-normalisation isn't too bad then go for that.
>
> +1
>>

>> I'm a bit confused by the asn2wrs issues though.  If they produce the
>> platform specific line endings for their output, then won't those be
>> normalised by git on commit (if the correct settings for git are applied)?
>
> On Linux asn1wrs.py produces LF line endings, while on Windows it produces
> CRLF line endings.
> Without having .gitattributes or core.autocrlf setting set to true locally,
> my working directory is having files with LF line endings but as soon as I
> want to update an ASN.1 dissector the file written is with CRLF. I have to
> manually change it back to LF...
> On Linux, both the working copy and asn2wrs.py output have LF line endings.
> I expect that we will have similar issues with other scripts than
> asn2wrs.py, thus my idea to do what seems to be the equivalent of the
> subversion eol-style native property.
>
> Pascal.
>
> PS: I do not like that much playing with line ending conversion like this,
> but this is how our repository was working previously and I do not master
> all the subtleties to get rid of it
I made a quick test and converting every file with CRLF-s to LF using
the script at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1510798/trying-to-fix-line-endings-with-git-filter-branch-but-having-no-luck/1511273#1511273

Yielded a diff reasonable size:
commit 57bdccf83b9a6fc2d8db34e526d6635cd0eae207
Author: Balint Reczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Tue Feb 4 14:10:41 2014 +0100

    Fixed crlf issue

 adns_dll.dep                              |  170 +++++++++++++-------------
 adns_dll.rc                               |  220
+++++++++++++++++-----------------
 epan/dissectors/packet-isakmp.c           |    2 +-
 epan/dissectors/pidl/initshutdown.cnf     |    2 +-
 epan/enterprise-numbers                   |    6 +-
 image/expert_indicators.svg               |  854
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------------------------------------------------------------
 image/filetap.rc.in                       |   68 +++++------
 image/toolbar/capture_interfaces_16.svg   |   82 ++++++-------
 image/toolbar/capture_interfaces_24.svg   |   86 +++++++-------
 image/toolbar/capture_options_16.svg      |   58 ++++-----
 image/toolbar/capture_options_24.svg      |   60 +++++-----
 image/toolbar/capture_options_alt1_16.svg |   74 ++++++------
 image/toolbar/capture_options_alt1_24.svg |   74 ++++++------
 image/toolbar/capture_pause_16.svg        |   66 +++++------
 image/toolbar/capture_pause_24.svg        |   66 +++++------
 image/toolbar/capture_restart_16.svg      |   76 ++++++------
 image/toolbar/capture_restart_16_alt1.svg |   56 ++++-----
 image/toolbar/capture_restart_16_alt2.svg |   62 +++++-----
 image/toolbar/capture_restart_16_alt3.svg |   56 ++++-----
 image/toolbar/capture_restart_16_alt4.svg |   32 ++---
 image/toolbar/capture_restart_24.svg      |   74 ++++++------
 image/toolbar/capture_restart_24_alt1.svg |   56 ++++-----
 image/toolbar/capture_restart_24_alt2.svg |   62 +++++-----
 image/toolbar/capture_restart_24_alt3.svg |   56 ++++-----
 image/toolbar/capture_restart_24_alt4.svg |   32 ++---
 image/toolbar/capture_stop_16_alt1.svg    |   50 ++++----
 image/toolbar/capture_stop_24_alt1.svg    |   50 ++++----
 plugins/opcua/plugin.rc.in                |   68 +++++------
 profiles/Bluetooth/colorfilters           |    2 +-
 profiles/Classic/colorfilters             |    2 +-
 wireshark.sln                             |  350

I think we should do that and regarding the generated files we should
simply remove them from the repo.

If some of the developers does not set line ending properly on Windows
it cause no harm because
those problems can be easily spotted on Gerrit possibly by automated scripts.

Cheers,
Balint