Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] New dissector to submit - how best to do it?

From: David Ameiss <netshark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 12:47:59 -0600
We've developed a set of dissectors for my company's protocols - all based on UDP and TCP. I've gotten the OK to submit them to Wireshark, and have spent the last 2 months tracking the development changes, keeping things current, and just finished moving over to the new git/gerrit approach.

The issue is that these new dissectors are quite substantial - 8 separate dissectors, 40 files (22 .c, 18 .h), containing nearly 20,000 lines of code. I also have some GUI additions (originally done for GTK, now in Qt) to provide analysis and stats capabilities for these dissectors. That adds another 6 files and 7,000+ lines of code (plus the 3 .ui files).

As there is a large amount of common functionality that has been factored out into separate modules (hence the large number of files), adding in small pieces is not practical. The GUI component is obviously independent, and can be submitted separately once the dissector component is integrated.

Or, I can submit the whole thing at once.

What's the best approach to ensure the code gets reviewed, rather than completely overwhelming the reviewers? :-)

--
David Ameiss
netshark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx