Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Siginificance of pinfo->fd->flags.visited

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 11:38:32 +0000

From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vishnu Bhatt
Sent: den 10 januari 2014 10:54
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Siginificance of pinfo->fd->flags.visited

Thanks for the explanation.

  1. << The result of a packet dissection is thrown away as soon as the packet has been read and presented, so if you ‘click’ on a new packet the dissection has to be redone.>>

>“Thrown away” means it’s not stored anywhere. Am I right? If yes, why is it thrown away?

As its not needed as the packet will be re dissected when the information is needed again. Saving the dissection result for every packet in a trace would require a lot of (RAM)memory.

(number of bytes times a factor > 10?)

>And also, few things are done only once using “flags.visited == FALSE”, why then this variable is used, if the previous results are not stored, then everything has to be redone.

Perhaps I expressed that poorly, if you need some result of the dissection you need to arrange to store it and protect that code with “flags.visited” to have it only executed once – the first time

When the packets are executed in order.

  1. << Not sure what you are referring to here >>

>In packet-rlc.c in epan/dissectors, duplicity of RLC frames is checked, should that be done everytime?

No it should probably only be done once and the result saved.

Regards

Anders