Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Replacing g_iconv and different codesets

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 20:14:53 +0100
Hi Michael,

2013/12/20 Michael Lum <michael.lum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Is there a goal to remove g_iconv calls from Wireshark.

I notice the GSM SMS dissector has been changed.

I'm working on an ANSI SMS change but the replacement of g_iconv is not straight forward.

I checked charsets.c/.h and there are two encodings that are not available that are used in the ANSI SMS dissector.

iso-8859-8 (Latin/Hebrew) is pretty easy to add I believe I can follow the pattern for the code that is there now.

The other is EUC-KR (Korean).  I tried to find a code page that looks like the ISO ones but I'm not how these
conversions are supposed to work.

I'm the one who added the Korean support. Some technical explanation can be found here: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1557.html and it seems to correspond to ISO-2022-KR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_2022)

Pascal.