Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Change of decoding for Airopeek/Omnipeek 802.11 header with Cisc

From: "Emburey Samrex Edward -X (emedward - EMBED UR SYSTEMS at Cisco)" <emedward@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:26:37 +0000

Hi All,

Thanks for attention!

This is regd the PEEKREMOTE decoding of the header Airopeek/Omnipeek encapsulated IEEE 802.11.

On capturing the sniffed o/p of Cisco APs, with PEEKREMOTE decoding, the 802.11 headers are not properly classified. (refer wireshark_sample.jpg)

This must take place under the header Airopeek/Omnipeek encapsulated IEEE 802.11.

In contrast, in an Omnipeek capture, it is well classified (under one of its header Cisco AP 802.11n). (refer omnipeek_sample.jpg)

We rightly have the same hexdump been populated in wireshark, like that in omnipeek.

So, the existing classification/decoding for the header Airopeek/Omnipeek encapsulated IEEE 802.11, within wireshark would need to be scrutinized.

The file trunk/epan/dissectors/packet-peekremote.c handles the decoding for this header.

The following are the variables, behind the header

hf_peekremote_unknown1

hf_peekremote_unknown2

hf_peekremote_unknown3

hf_peekremote_unknown4

hf_peekremote_unknown5

hf_peekremote_unknown6

hf_peekremote_channel

hf_peekremote_timestamp

At the function dissect_peekremote() we can include more decoding for snr/rssi/datarate/channel/timestamp values, which can then be forwarded to proto_register_peekremote() appropriately.

There is also a TBD note at the starting note of this packet-peekremote.c file, that infers a similar case.

/*

* TODO: Decode meta information.

*       Check on fillup bytes in capture (fcs sometimes wrong)

* From:

* http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/pahcont/oweb.pdf

* "It will include information on timestamp, signal strength, packet size

*  and so on"

*/

Can someone please clarify on the purpose of the existing decoding, and now adapt for this suggested one – so as to get a proper classification of the Airopeek/Omnipeek encapsulated IEEE 802.11 header with Cisco APs in wireshark.

Thanks in advance,

Emburey