Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] FT_BYTES hf with len==0

From: Martin Kaiser <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 17:48:12 +0100
Dear all,

is it allowed to add an FT_BYTES hf entry with len==0 to the protocol
tree?

E.g.

proto_tree_add_bytes_format_value(tree, hf_myproto_myval,
   tvb, offset, 0, NULL, format, ...)

The idea would be to allow filtering for this element although it has no
value (it's just there).

When I do this, I run into an assert in proto_custom_set(),

       case FT_BYTES:
                bytes = (guint8 *)fvalue_get(&finfo->value);
               ... bytes_to_string(bytes, ...) -> DISSECTOR_ASSERT

Who's at fault here: proto_custom_set() or the caller?

Regards,
Martin