Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] large signed 40-56bit integers

Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 19:44:02 -0500 (EST)
There is a bug in Wireshark when a dissector has an hf_ variable of type FT_INT64 and the requested length of the field is < 8 bytes.  There is no accounting for the sign bit (which has led dissectors to come up with their own solutions).  The attached patch attempts to address it.  The questions I have is

1. Are these the right places to modify?  I thought about pint.h, but I didn't know how to get the "sign check" in there.
2. Is this cross-platform friendly? (I realize it may not be the most optimized solution)
3. Did I go far enough in addressing the "common" uses?  Is FT_INT40, etc necessary?

Any other thoughts?