Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Windows build setup - Concept required

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 15:02:49 -0500
Re: creating/using a standard package directory structure on Windows

     It sounds like you're suggesting that we take the
     packages as distribited and move things
     around to a standard structure. This sounds to me like the
     effort to do this it might be crazy-making ...

Also: A few questions/comments: see inline:

> 1) zlib is installed as source only

     As opposed to installing DLL's from a package ?
     My understanding is that we need to build the zlib DLL
     ourselves due to ensure that the right C runtime is used.
     ("cross C-runtime memory allocation issues").

2) portaudio is installed as source only

     (As in 1) above ?)

3) Every package is installed into its own subdirectory, sometimes with
    its own structure

4) glib2 contains zlib headers that break windows builds
     right: it appears that the gtk2/includes dir is never
     used as an include dir so that (fortunately) the correct
     zlib includes are used. Ditto for the zlib DLL.
            (It seems that the zlib DLL & includes distribdted
             with our current GTK/GLib package are for
             zlib v1.27 while we're actually building/using zlib v1.25)
     In any case, as noted, we need to build our own ...

5) glib3 contains zlib headers that break windows builds
      ditto

6) krb5 contains includes that export krb5-build internal flags and
    thus cause warnings during compiles

     When building how ?