Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Windows build setup - Concept required

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 21:27:39 +0100
Hello,

as Graham and I are working on getting the Windows build process to
a) work at all and b) be on par with the current nmake build process
we currently rely on the setup infrastructure of the nmake build. I
really don't like porting the "nmake -f Makefile.nmake setup" to cmake.
Not because it is hard to do but because the current setup has various
shortcomings
1) zlib is installed as source only
2) portaudio is installed as source only
3) Every package is installed into its own subdirectory, sometimes with
   its own structure
4) glib2 contains zlib headers that break windows builds
5) glib3 contains zlib headers that break windows builds
6) krb5 contains includes that export krb5-build internal flags and
   thus cause warnings during compiles
6) Except for gtk3 no packages provide compile (includes, cflags) or
   linking (libs, ldflags) information.
7) glib3 contains pkg-config files, but they contain a wrong paths
   and unuseable compiler (gcc) flags
8) The current setup process does not install QT
9) To build qtshark without wireshark still requires the installation
   of gtk2 or gtk3 for glib, gmodule, gthread
10) The setup process does not allow for the simultanous installation
   of gtk2 and gtk3
11) The installation of some build tools (python, cmake, cygwin-stuff like
    cat, bash) might be automated - depending on the setup script language
    maybe not all of them.

So maybe something more similar to the macosx setup is wanted. Not maybe
the compile-it-yourself approach but an installation into a standard
directory structure.

So what I'd like to have is a script (.bat or maybe Powershell) that works
similar to the macosx-setup.sh script:

- Contain a list of packages and their versions
- Download missing packages
- Download missing tools
- Install not-yet-installed packages (includes, libs) into a standard
  directory structure

Feedback, ideas, details anyone?

Thanks
   Jörg