Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] SI vs. IEC prefixes

From: Christopher Maynard <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 17:35:21 +0000 (UTC)
Joerg Mayer <jmayer@...> writes:

> > What do others think before I make any changes to SI units?
>
> Please change to SI in these cases.

So you're recommending moving to SI prefixes for both the file size autostop
condition and the capture buffer size, or just the file size?  I just wanted
to confirm because I gather from Evan's response that only the file size
should be changed.  Concerning the capture buffer size, I'm fine either way,
but if we don't change it to SI, then I'll change the units from MB -> MiB.

Either way, the next question I have is what to backport?  The earlier SI ->
IEC change was backported to 1.10 in order to better document the actual
values used, but no effective code changes were made (other than the bug
fix).  If we switch to SI units, then that would be a more impactful code
change in the 1.10 trunk.  No changes were backported previously to the 1.8
trunk, but maybe they should be as well?

Personally, I am still inclined to backport the change anyway so that the
units and code match with what the user probably expects, so in that
respect, the backport could be seen as a bug fix.  Unless there are
objections, I'll schedule the changes for 1.10.  And 1.8 too, I suppose.