Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Modifying custom giop dissector

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 14:02:06 -0800
On Nov 27, 2013, at 9:34 AM, mmann78@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I don't think a solution currently exists with the parser.
>
> I think you need to modify the omniorb parser (patches welcome!), either by adding support for "additional" fields in the IDL or somehow providing a "custom" data hook (as I don't think one is currently provided), perhaps in a file separate from the IDL.

At least some other tools that take a protocol/interface description language and turn it into a dissector have separate "conformance" (.cnf) files to handle that; see, for example, asn2wrs and Samba's pidl.  That would be my inclination, as it means that you wouldn't have to hack the IDL files (and have to maintain modified IDL files).