Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] How to replace proto_tree_add_text()

From: Michael Lum <michael.lum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 14:10:37 -0800
I ran the checkAPIs.pl script against the files I have modified and it complains about a lot of proto_tree_add_text() calls.

I would like to fix them but after looking at the README.dissector document I'm left wondering if there is an easier way
than using proto_tree_add_item.

The places in the dissector where add_text() is used were for labelling parts of the protocol without having to create
filterable fields.

For example, in packet-ansi_a.c there are 457 useless add_text() calls vs 26 add_<something else>() calls.

Do I have to add 457 items (approximately, some may duplicate) to hf_register_info ?

Basically, I want to just label a bunch of bits or octets, no subtree, not filterable.

Thanks for you help.

Michael Lum (michael.lum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) | STAR SOLUTIONS | Principal Software Engineer
4600 Jacombs Road, Richmond BC, Canada V6V 3B1 | +1.604.303.2315