Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] capture_file* in dissector code

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 09:41:40 -0500 (EST)
The ulterior motive is actually to reduce members in the packet_info* structure.  Some members could be converted to using p_get_proto_data/p_add_proto_data, but the "protocol ID" is required for that API.  While I've seen it hacked into a few places in the GUI, I think it's better design if only a dissector has access to that value.

The idea is to have the dissectors themselves determine what gets presented in a "Decode As" by registering a "decode as structure".   Something of a cross between the dissector_filter(.c) functionality an a UAT.  I also thought it could help qt development by providing the data "outside the GUI", reducing the effort there.  I'd like the decode_as_ok() (in decode_as_dlg.c) to just loop through an array to determine if there is something to "decode as".   As I've looked into it further, the problem is that decode_as_ok() uses dissectors and taps.  I was originally just focusing on the dissectors, but knew I needed the "decode as structure" to support a capture_file* in some capacity for the taps (and I've prefer to avoid an architecture that uses void* but the underlying functionality knows exactly what type of pointer it is), hence the post to -dev.