Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark development setup Help

From: "John Dill" <John.Dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 15:49:45 -0500
>Message: 6
>Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 23:14:28 +0530
>From: Sreejith M M <sreejith.mm@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark development setup Help
>
>I am trying to make a new dissector for wireshark. As part of this, I am
>following wireshark doc to setup tools and source code .
>
>I have a 32 bit windows 7
>I followed below steps as shown in the
>http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html page
>

>   1.
>
>   C compiler: Download<http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads#d-2010-express>and
>install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition." (This is a very
>   large download.)
>   2.
>
>   C compiler service pack:
>Download<http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23691>and
>install "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1." (This is a very
>   large download.)
>   3. Install Cygwin
>   4. Install python
>   5. Install TortoiseSVN
>   6. edit config.nmake
>
>After this I am not able to find
>
>*C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Bin\SetEnv.Cmd*
>
>*or*
>

>vcvarsall.bat or vcvars32.bat
>

>One thing is that , I am not having v7.1 ,rather v7.0A. But I am suprised
>that this folder doesnt have any of the above 3 files.
>

>Please help to proceed

I ran into the same problem, where I realized that I needed the Windows SDK to do the actual build in Windows 7 32-bit.

The problem was that my development install was broken where I could not properly install the Windows SDK (step 2) if I already installed the C compiler service pack (step 4).  I would uninstall whatever you have done in section 2.2.1, and reinstall *all* those components in order from steps 1 through 4.  Unfortunately, I had to re-image my Windows installation before I could get the Wireshark build process to work because the uninstall broke the registry to the point that I couldn't get Windows SDK to re-install properly.  Starting over, I could get the Wireshark installation to work if I ran each step without skipping steps 2 or 4, this time installing the Windows SDK even though I was on a 32-bit Windows 7 computer.

I would consider removing the "if you want to build 64-bit binaries for Windows 7" text simply because it can give people the impression that you don't need to install it if you have Windows 7 32-bit.  If someone has successfully built Wireshark for Windows 7 32-bit skipping steps 2 and 4 of section 2.2.1, then I must have a misunderstanding somewhere.

Hope it helps!
John D.

<<winmail.dat>>