Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] compile test of checkins mandatory ?

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 15:18:50 +0000
On 8 November 2013 15:09, Toralf Förster <toralf.foerster@xxxxxx> wrote:
In the past few weeks I run more often than expected after a "svn
update" into an build error, mostly obvious coding style issues / typos
/ "treat warning as errors" were the culprit.

This let me wondering, if there isn't a hook in the central svn server
to reject such check-in attempts ?

How would the hook determine that the committer had compiled the code without errors on all platforms?

This is one of the advantages of the proposed gerrit workflow that would move all changes into branches and test compile them on buildbots before merging to trunk.

A similar thing could be done with svn but I don't know of any (free) tooling that does that. We have a custom semi-automatic version using svn in my day job.

Graham